Building / Permits
The Municipal Annex Building is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm (Mon. - Fri.)
Building Department Covid-19 Update
The City of Frederick remains committed to the health and safety of residents and our City workforce. To stay up to date on the City's response, please visit cityoffrederickmd.gov/Covid19 or our social media channels.
Please note that the City is experiencing extremely high volumes in permit requests - nearly a 75% increase over the first quarter of 2020. Applicants should expect delays with permit review and approval timeframes.
The City offers the ability for the public to submit applications and plans to the Building department online. Payment of fee’s by credit card can now also be accepted online. Click the appropriate links below and complete the pre-submittal application for your request. You will then be contacted by a staff member to complete the submission process.
- Permits Pre-Submittal Form
- Contractor Licenses Pre-Submittal Form
- Vacant Property Registration Pre-Submittal Form
(NOTE: If you will be submitting your project at our One-Stop Shop held on Tuesdays only from 8-11 am, you DO NOT submit a Pre-Submittal Form above. Refer to the One-Stop Shop list of projects that are eligible for this process.)
One-Stop Shop Update
One-Stop Shop for same-day permitting is held on Tuesdays only from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Permit applications that are eligible for the One-Stop Shop permitting process that are also required to have Historic Preservation Commission approval, must be accompanied by the HPC Certificate of Approval including all supporting documentation. Any conditions of approval must be met PRIOR to submitting the permit application. For information on the Historic Preservation Commission approval process, please call the Planning Department at 301-600-1499 or visit www.cityoffrederick.com/preservation.
PERMIT TYPES LISTED BELOW ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE ONE-STOP SHOP PROCESS:
- Tenant fit-out (existing tenant space, 5,000 sq. ft. max., no structural changes, no change-of-use as defined in the Building Code or Land Management Code, no hazardous conditions)
- Temporary Trailers (construction, portable classrooms with engineering drawings, sales, etc.)
- Zoning Applications (Some Exemptions apply, please contact the Permits Department)
- Basement finishes (cannot create new dwelling unit)
- Residential Interior Renovation (no increase in habitable space or structural changes)
- Pools/Hot Tubs/Spas (residential /non-public)
- Residential Garage/carport
- Residential Paving for Driveway/Parking areas when required (pavers, cement, asphalt, etc.)
- Retaining walls not over 5’ high
- Demolition (accessory structures w/no utilities)
FEES PAYABLE BY CREDIT CARD, CASH OR CHECK (City of Frederick).
The Building/Permits Department, a division of DPW, is dedicated to the service of the community by ensuring that the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens are addressed through its responsibilities in the administration and enforcement of all adopted building and construction codes of the City of Frederick. In its commitment to excellence in community growth and development, the Building Department will strive to afford an efficient and responsive environment by providing consistent, organized, and courteous service to the public.
View Building Permits Status
The City of Frederick is pleased to allow the public to view all building permits online using the Citizen Access Module. Enter the portal now.
Water & Sewer Allocation & Impact Fee Ordinance
Sign up to receive updates to Building/Permit codes and regulations.