A lifelong resident of Maryland, Kelly Russell is serving her fourth consecutive term as Alderman.
Ms. Russell chose law enforcement as a career to give back to the community and chose Frederick in 1983 as the place to build her career and home. She attended Shepherd College, the University of Maryland at College Park, and Montgomery (MC) and Frederick Community Colleges (FCC). While working full time as an officer, she completed an Associate of Arts Degree in Criminal Justice.
She is the owner and steward of an historic home in the College Park neighborhood of the city. She enjoys working in her yard and vegetable gardens, and on home restoration projects.
Employment & Retirement
She is a graduate of the 25th Frederick Police Academy and served as a sworn officer for 22 years with the Frederick Police Department. She served in the Traffic Bureau and was promoted to Sergeant in 1988 becoming the first woman to serve as Assistant Commander of Special Operations. She also served as Supervisor in the Criminal Investigation Division, Community Services Division, and Patrol. She was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in 1996, only the third woman to achieve that rank, and retired as Commander of the Human Resources Division in June of 2005.
After retirement, Alderman Russell received Mayoral appointments to serve on the City’s Christophers Crossing Task Force, Neighborhood Advisory Council 9 (NAC), and the Zoning Board of Appeals.
She was a founding member of the City’s Green Team, which she shepherded to formal adoption as a standing board known as the Sustainability Committee. She also served on the original Bicycle Advisory Committee, which earned the City its first designation as a Bicycle Friendly Community with the League of American Bicyclists.
She currently serves on:
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
- City of Frederick Retirement Plan Committee
- Delaplaine Arts Center Board of Trustees
- Frederick County Coalition for the Homeless (FCCH) - Homelessness Safety Committee
- MWCOG’s Transportation Planning Board (TPB) – former Chair
- South Frederick Corridors Plan Scoping Group
- Transportation Services Advisory Council (TSAC)
During her tenure she has also served on:
- Downtown Frederick Partnership
- Downtown Safety and Services Initiative (DSSI)
- Green Team
- Planning Commission – Secretary
- Sustainability Committee
- Taxicab Commission – former Chair
- Watershed Advisory Committee