The mission of the Sustainability Manager and Sustainability Committee is to provide guidance on and lead projects that maintain balance between economic, social, and ecological needs of residents and businesses for today and future generations. Sustainable projects will help provide better transportation, buildings, neighborhoods, parks, and healthy places to work and live. The Sustainability team works with all departments and with the public for holistic project management.
Programs & Volunteer Opportunities
Map of Current Road Adoptions
I JUST WANT TO PICK UP TRASH: You may register as a participant to volunteer with a group of your choice, or be matched with a group that regularly conducts roadway cleanups
Renewable Energy Initiatives
- The City is purchasing renewable energy credits.
- The City is purchasing the credits through our energy provider, Mid-American, and the costs for renewables in our December 2020 to December 2022 contract year are less than what we are paying today
- The City continues to upgrade our lights to LEDs as we have resources and staff to do so. We continue to conduct energy audits on City facilities to help budget for updates within those buildings. This will help reduce our carbon footprint and increase energy savings.
Reports & Resources
- Wavyleaf Basketgrass in the Frederick Watershed
- City of Frederick 2019 Air Temperature Study
- 2009 Tree Canopy Assessment Report (PDF)
- 2016 Tree Canopy Assessment Report (PDF)
- The City of Frederick’s Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Plan (PDF)
- Energy Efficiency Policy (PDF)
- Heal Resolution (PDF)
- Order a Compost Bin (PDF)
- Renewable Energy Policy (PDF)
- Stormwater Management Utility Fee Credit Application (PDF)
- Tax Credit for High Performance Buildings (PDF)
- Urban Forestry Management Plan (PDF)
- The Urban Forests of Frederick in a Changing Climate (PDF)